Well we don’t have the traditional chair in it’s usual corner anymore because it is downstairs, and during Christmas it was mostly inaccessible because of the Christmas tree, so we did our 5 year blocks on the couch upstairs. Jameson still wanted to do it though so I was all for it!
This year, his appearance was wrapped up in his long hair which we grew out all year until cutting it after Halloween. So it seems like something is missing between the photos of Jameson at 4 and Jameson at 5. It’s all that hair!
We did gifts with Brian’s family on his actual birthday after work and school, which was Wednesday. We also had an Elf on the Shelf for the first time this year, and our elf, Ralphie, wasn’t really into decorating or doing cool things except on Jameson’s birthday when he strung streamers and balloons for the occasion! Jameson’s face did a big “o” of surprise when he saw it that morning.
Jameson got a new scooter for spring, marble run, and more. We got the marble run out right away and both the kids enjoyed it. But that wasn’t all! We decided Jameson was old enough to have his very first big-boy-friend birthday party. We held it at a local indoor bouncer place. It was close by, and a great location for winter parties. We provided the cake, they provided everything else.
Just like last year, we requested no gifts, though we did get a couple. Instead, we had people bring donations for our local animal shelter.
Jameson loved playing the claw machine. They had an easy one that had balls in it, and he got 3 or 4, one for him and a couple friends and Coraline each! It was the first time we’ve invited school friends to our parties and Johnny, Ella, Corinne, and Gunnar came. Johnny’s parents help Jameson play video games with the boys which was nice as Brian and I were constantly wandering around tracking Coraline or Jameson or being social with friends.
Our regulars also came including Jonathan and Joshua, Bobby and Jack, and Vivienne and Finn. We also had my cousin and his 3 boys there, and even Nathan came! Nathan has recently come back to school; they’re not in the same class but they see a lot of each other in the mornings and afternoons regardless.
Coraline also had a blast. She spent some time on the bouncers, and then played in the little kid area reading books and going to the chalk room. It was nice that she was old enough that she didn’t need constant attention, and wonderful that while we were there there weren’t a lot of really big kids either so she was happy to participate.
Jameson visited the doctor for his check up and he’s in perfect health! Still a skinny little dude weighing in around 37 lbs. He didn’t need any vaccines, but he did get to pee in a cup which was a new novelty (for both of us). He got vision and hearing tested and checked out fine.
What Jameson is Wearing:
- Size 4T pants and size 12 shoes.
- 5T or XS shirts, they’re sometimes a little big but he’ll be able to keep them for a couple years.
- Soft pants and swishy pants, and clothes with Star Wars, superheros, or Ninja Turtles on them
- Big boy underwear day and night. And underwear only at night for as long as the weather allows!
What Jameson is Eating:
- Meatballs, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and most any meat he can eat with ketchup or ranch
- Cucumbers with ranch or without. He’ll eat a whole one straight up like a pickle. Also tomatoes.
- Regular and “special” yogurt. Still doesn’t like eggs.
- Candy of course, and now he gets to have gum! It’s like a treat for him.
- Potatoes most any way
- He finishes his dinner the majority of the time.
What Jameson is Saying:
- Jameson likes to ask us about how our work day was, and insists that we answer his questions first before he answers (minimally) about his day at school
- “It’s ok sweetie”, (almost) always a sweetheart to his little sister.
- “It’s not fair!” This is happening more and more frequently. (Life isn’t fair though you know).
- “Stinky” and “Stinker”, and using other mean words that we have to discipline.
When Jameson gets angry, he shouts “Fine! You’re not my best friend anymore.”
What Jameson Likes These Days:
- He really loves to watch TV, any show or movie TV now and all the time. We’re working on this. This year along with the usual favorites we’ve also watched Star wars and super heroes cartoons based on the Avengers, Bat Man and Justice League.
- Jameson enjoys reading about super heroes and Star Wars.
- Jameson is much more flexible about what he wears lately, but he still likes soft or swishy pants the best. Anything you’d identify as “running” or “exercise” wear.
- Duffy the little teddy bear and his soft brown blanket
- Swimming lessons and soccer.
- Piano, he’s started lessons at school
- Listening to “his” songs, kid music. Favorites are the Hercules song and the Mulan “Man” song.
- The ipad, but now he only really gets it when traveling so he doesn’t ask for it as much
- Wrestling with daddy
What Jameson Doesn’t Like These Days:
- Sitting still to eat.
- Hot sauce on his tongue. A new discipline helpful for talking back.
- Public toilets, though he no longer has a tantrum about them, he still doesn’t like the loud potties.
I thought Jameson was dressed too warm today and told him so; he said that was so we could cuddle!
What Jameson is Doing:
- Writing his name, identifies letters and loves stories still. Occasionally sounding out a word.
- Making light sabers out of tinker toys
- Brushing his teeth and hair on his own, doing all things in the morning without assistance including dressing himself and putting non-tie shoes on.
- More clarity in his artwork. He’s drawn family portraits recognizable as people now and doing more drawing.
- Making paper airplanes, every single day. (Better not let him catch us throwing them out, either!)
- Jameson likes to help make dinner with Daddy and desserts with Mommy
We were just playing tea party when Jameson declared he was pouring beer for daddy.
What We Are Working On:
- Bedtimes without tantrums
- Regular chores… we’ve done making the bed, setting the table, and putting toys away irregularly
- Sitting still to eat.
- Mommy and daddy are figuring out good ways to reward good behavior so more of it comes without being told.
What is your name? Jameson
How old are you? 5
What is your favorite color? orange
What is your favorite animal? A lion
What is your favorite book? My favorite book is…the Avengers (And something else I couldn’t understand)
What is your favorite TV show? The Lion Guard (A recent discovery of the spin off of the Lion King)
What is your favorite movie? Lion King (This might not really be true anymore but the first he thought of; he really likes the Lego Movie)
What is your favorite song? Old McDonald… I mean, my favorite song is the Star Wars one
What is your favorite food? Meatballs and macaroni
What food do you not like? I don’t like ravioli, quesadilla, eggs, and pancakes
What is your favorite drink? Hot chocolate
What is your favorite snack? Fruit snacks
“I’m going to eat all of my dinner. 100 of the dinner. All the snacks, all the table, all the carpet…all the walls.”
What makes you laugh? I don’t know (After some prompting, he agrees that Coraline makes him laugh)
What is your favorite thing to wear? Underwear!
What is your favorite game? Donuts (being silly I think, but after some thought it could be he’s talking about the gopher game where you bop the heads since he described popping the head up)
What is your favorite toy? At Nathan’s I like to play on the trampoline
Who is your best friend? Nathan
What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Duffy and blankie
Where is your favorite place to go? Canada Never been there. After some prompting we discover that’s where Aunt Melissa and Grandma and Poppa are going, so after some prompting he says: I like to go to Florida (He likes to sleep there and get new Duffys)
Where do you want to go on vacation? Disney
What do you like to do with your family? Mousetrap
What do you want to be when you grow up? A superhero… I want to be Ant Man
What did you do when you were little? Climb on dad’s face
What do you like to do now that you are big? Go to Kindergarten in March (March is Coraline’s birthday so we had to clarify that this happens in the fall)
What is your favorite thing to learn in school? I don’t know… Can we be done now? Ummm eating donuts.
What is your favorite thing to remember? Remind me to get a drink
What do you want to buy with your money? A toy
What is the thing you do the most awesomely? Didn’t get to ask this